NSAA pledges to take the following actions:
- Engage in advocacy with key policy makers in support of the adoption of standards and legislation to curb carbon emissions
- Raise awareness among policy makers on the impacts of climate change on the ski industry and rural communities
- Take a leadership role in facilitating ski area engagement of the 10 million snowsports participants on climate action and advocacy
- Provide its members with education, tools and programs to reduce carbon emissions in their operations and green their supply chains
- Support members in their engagement with their state and local utility to decarbonize the grid
- Support research and funding of adaptation, resiliency and restoration measures that will protect the outdoor experiences enjoyed by millions of Americans, and ensure that future generations can continue to enjoy the benefits of mountain recreation
- Lead as part of the Outdoor Business Climate Partnership (NSAA, OIA and SIA) to leverage the outdoor recreation industry’s economic, political and social influence in support of bipartisan climate solutions
- Collaborate with other industries and business coalitions in support of climate change solutions to strengthen our voice and maximize our effectiveness
- Offer resources and education opportunities to our members on diversity, equity and inclusivity and promote Justice and Equity in the context of climate change impacts and solutions
- Broaden our climate partnerships to ensure lasting and equitable climate change solutions
Climate Solutions Trail Map
Outdoor Business Climate Partnership
The outdoor recreation industry is responsible for bringing $887 billion to the U.S. economy, and provides over 7.5 million jobs. Climate change is the biggest threat to our business, and to our way of life. That's why the National Ski Areas Association, Outdoor Industry Association, and SnowSports Industries America have banded together to create the Outdoor Business Climate Partnership - a way to amplify our collective voice in Washington, and to advocate loudly for bipartisan solutions to reduce our carbon footprint. Learn more here .
We Are Still In
We Are Still In has launched a “US Climate Action Contribution Platform” for businesses like ski areas to commit to new climate actions or enhance existing actions and submit them through this platform. It is easy to join by creating an account – click here – and submit your resort’s ‘contribution’ to making progress toward our country’s Paris Agreement commitments in the absence of federal government action.
Climate Change Advocacy
Click here for information on a market-based climate change solution that would reduce GHG emissions, internalize the cost of pollution and stimulate the economy.
NSAA's Climate Challenge is a tool specifically designed for ski areas that allows them to inventory, target and reduce their carbon emissions. Climate advocacy is a requirement to participate in the Climate Challenge. Learn more about this program and check out YOY results for our Challengers.